School Lunches - Packing Made Easier

By: Tami Pyles



Back to school time is here, and that means it is also time to pack lunches.  I have had a love-hate relationship with lunch packing over the years.  I love it because I can control what my kids eat and can include lots of healthy options.  I hate it because, well, I have to pack it! Here are a few tips for making lunch packing a little easier.

 

Have a Plan

When you pack your lunch, it is easy to get in a rut and have the same thing over and over.  To combat this mundane mealtime habit, my daughter and I sit down and brainstorm a list of what she would like for lunches and snacks.  We use the internet for inspiration as we create the list- there are lots of great sites out there that offer healthy lunch ideas.  We write it all down from simple snacks like what fruit she wants to fun meals like turkey and cheese kabobs.  We hang this list on the refrigerator and reference it when planning for lunches.  It is great to get the ideas on paper early and then all year you have a go-to list when you need some new ideas to keep lunch fun and interesting. 

 

Equipped to Eat

Having the right supplies can make all of the difference.  It is worth the investment to get a great lunchbox that can withstand the wear and tear of packing.  Other items to consider are reusable containers (not only is this an earth friendly option but you will spend a fortune on plastic bags, packing lunch every day), a good quality water bottle, and a thermos for taking hot items like soup and pasta.

 

Prep Now, Pack Later

Pre-packaged convenience foods are not always the healthiest choice. Pre-making healthier options can help alleviate the need to grab the highly processed and nutritionally void snacks and cakes. Make things like muffins and granola bars in multiple batches and freeze them for later use.  One day of baking can yield a month’s worth of snacks and lunch box staples.  One of my absolute favorite make-ahead snacks are granola bars.  Here is the recipe I use from Weelicious.  They are super easy to make and freeze well. 

 

Consider lunch when making other meals.  Can you make extra of a dish and use the left-overs for lunches?  Double up a dinner recipe or make breakfast with lunch in mind.  We typically make waffles or pancakes on the weekends and I always make extras.  I use left overs not only for quick weekday breakfasts, but also a fun breakfast-for-lunch option.  I take leftover waffles and cut them into strips and send in yogurt for dipping along with some fruit. 

 

Happy packing!

 


Comments